I LOVE Macaroni and Cheese, honestly who doesn’t.. So when I heard there exists a recipe for Mac n Cheese with half the calories and the goodness of butternut squash I had to try it out! The first attempt at Butternut Mac and Cheese was okay… Sure in all appearances it was mac and cheese but in flavor it was squash. Also the recipe used a lot of nutritional yeast, 3 Tbs, and having not cooked with it before I was a little weirded out by the yeasty flavor. I got the recipe off my favorite vegan blog and I’m posting it HERE just in case you would like to try it out. All in all it tasted very good. I liked the chunks of squash and I looked forward to my lunch when I brought it to work with me but it was not macaroni and cheese. I was still left with a craving for creamy cheesy noodles.
Two weeks later I ordered another butternut squash in my organic box and decided to try again. My boyfriend begged me to make the real stuff but I was determined to deliver a passable butternut squash mac and cheese. A girl at work had told me she had a recipe she liked which used milk, yogurt and cheese (1/2 the normal amount) definitely not vegan lol. A quick search on the internet and I found a recipe, which of course I tweaked since I can’t seem to ever leave a recipe alone. This one I’ll definitely be making again!
Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheese
Adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny:
- 1/2 cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 a onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 box (500g) uncooked elbow noodles
- 1/2 a package soda crackers
- salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. I used brown rice noodles and they turned out great.
- In a medium saucepan (or saute pan, if you’re lucky like me and finally have a full cookware set!) saute the butternut squash until tender, about 10 mins. Add the onion and garlic and saute for a few more mins until browned.
- Add bouillon cube, milk, yogurt and cottage cheese. Pour mixture into blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix sauce with the cooked noodles and half of the cheddar cheese, season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Spread into 13 x 9″ casserole dish and top with crumbled crackers and the other half of the cheese.
- Cook for 20-25 mins on top rack.